Let's schedule our friendly team to help

My name is

I need help with

Please visit

My address is

My phone number is

4 minutes response time during business hours

According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), “Half of all home fire deaths occur in the bedroom between 11pm and 7am.” It so happens that the bedroom is where most electrical fires start also. Before you lose sleep over this, understand that there are plenty of things you can do to keep your bedroom safe. Here are a few things to keep in mind when avoiding bedroom fire hazards.

Mishandling of Electrical Cords

The best reassurance you can have is to maintain proper use of all electrical cords in your home. Prioritize your outlet needs and it may just save your life.

  • Avoid running electrical cords underneath bedding or carpet;
  • Keep all things flammable away from the electrical outlets to include your bedding and curtains;
  • Never overload an extension cord. It could become too hot or short circuit, resulting in a fire.

Devices and Appliances

It’s imperative you remain vigilant when it comes to electronic devices and appliances. Ensure bedroom fire prevention by following these simple steps.

  • Don’t fall asleep with an electric blanket turned on. Also make sure to only use laboratory-approved products;
  • If you’re charging an electronic device, do not leave the room. A laptop left on the bed has the potential to start a fire;
  • Never leave space-heaters unattended;
  • To prevent fires in electrical switches, install arc fault circuit interrupters (AFCIs). Should your circuit receive an unintentional discharge of electricity, the interrupter will shut off the circuit;
  • Have your heater, fans, and air conditioner inspected by a certified professional.


  • If you have children (or tend to them), installing tamper resistant receptacles (TRRs) should prevent insertion of foreign objects into outlets;
  • Keep flammable items such as lighters and matches away and out of reach;
  • Remove combustible items from their room(s);
  • Openly discuss the dangers of fire with them directly.

Children are generally curious so it will come as no surprise when they may do things that put themselves in a dangerous situation. Teaching children ahead of time about the dangers that come when playing with fire is a great first step.


Smoking can cause fatal diseases such as pneumonia, emphysema, and lung cancer. So it is in your best interest, if you do smoke, to quit before it reaches that point. Health risks aside, smoking is also a potential bedroom fire hazard. You could fall asleep while your cigarette is lit and the bed may catch fire. Don’t smoke in bed!

Prevent a Bedroom Fire

There are a few more items that can help you prevent bedroom fire hazards and avoid costly reparations or worse.

  • Only use mattresses that meet the 2007 Federal Mattress Flammability Standard;
  • Smoke alarms should be installed inside and outside of every bedroom. Make sure to test them monthly and replace the batteries as necessary;
  • Water and electricity do not mix. Keep liquids away from all outlets, cords, and electronics to avoid short-circuiting and shock;
  • Candles may smell great but they are a fire hazard. Do not leave a lit flame unattended and keep them away from combustible objects. Replacing burning candles with battery-operated flameless candles is an option. It may not have the scent but should maintain the ambiance;
  • Have a plan. Make sure everyone in the household knows what to do in case of a fire. Practice home fire drills and keep your family safe.

Armed with the knowledge above, should have you feeling safer when it comes time to lay your head down for the night.

It always pays to be well prepared for whatever the future brings. This is also why you should have a restoration company you know and trust. Mission Restorations has experts in fire, water, and mold restoration. If ever in need of services, don’t hesitate to call the best damage restoration team in Charlotte and its surrounding areas at 704-727-2000.

Avoiding Bedroom Fire Hazards
Rate my article