Let's schedule our friendly team to help

My name is

I need help with

Please visit

My address is

My phone number is

4 minutes response time during business hours

Planning to cozy up in front of the fireplace this holiday season? The living room contains a lot of furniture, electronics, and many other things that could quite literally go up in smoke. Before settling down to relax, it may be beneficial to brush up on a bit of living room fire safety so you can avoid fire damage.

Improve Living Room Fire Safety

Typically, the room that houses the big screen televisions, electronic entertainment, and surround sound systems, the living room is a haven for fire hazards. With cables abound, it’s no wonder that a living room fire is all too common.

Electricity

  • Never, under any circumstances, overload the electric sockets;
  • Should you need more sockets than you currently possess, have a qualified electrician install more;
  • Cords should not run under rugs, through walls, or pinched by furniture;
  • DO NOT staple or nail cords down to the wall or baseboard;
  • DO use surge protectors;
  • Avoid products that do not hold up to regulation testing and standards;
  • Always use the correct fuses in your appliances;
  • Appliances that do not need to stay plugged in should be unplugged before retiring to the bedroom;
  • Make sure to have a smoke alarm in the room.

Fireplaces

  • DO NOT use petrol or any similar substance to ignite your fireplace;
  • Only suitable materials should be burned;
  • Ensure there is proper ventilation present when using heating appliances in the room;
  • Always place a proper fitting, spark-guard in front of open fires;
  • Void the area of combustibles around the fireplace;
  • Don’t air clothes too close to the fire;
  • Dispose of hot ash carefully and refrain from placing them in plastic bins while still hot.

Smokers

  • Ensure there are a sufficient amount of ashtrays in the room;
  • Keep ashtrays empty after use;
  • Don’t smoke when tired or under the influence of controlled substances. If a cigarette butt is dropped, it can stay lit and cause a fire;
  • DO NOT leave your lit cigarette unattended;
  • Keep matches and lighters away from children.

Portable Heaters

  • Treat a portable heater similar to a solid fuel fire;
  • Protect children and pets by placing a guard around it;
  • Keep it away from all combustibles;
  • Make sure the heater is in a safe place where it will not be knocked over;
  • DO NOT dry clothes on or in front of the heater;
  • Keep flammable substances out of reach of the heater;
  • DO NOT move the heater while it is on or still hot.

Candles

  • Ensure they’re on a surface where they will not be knocked over;
  • DO NOT leave them unattended;
  • Keep away from draughts;
  • Remove combustibles in the area;
  • Ensure they are placed in proper, fire safe, containers and on a heat resistant surface;
  • Never place candles on electronics;
  • DO NOT move a candle while lit.

Chimney Fires

Chimney fires are started due to an accumulation of carbon and dust inside the chimney. They are then set alight by sparks from the open flames. If you happen to be a victim of a chimney fire, then here are a few recommendations on dealing with it.

  • Call the fire department and maintain vigilance over the fire;
  • Move everyone out of the room the fire is in to reduce the chance of smoke inhalation;
  • Move furniture and carpets away from the fireplace if able.

You should only try to put out the fire yourself if it is safe for you to do so.

Chimney Cleaning Guide

Avoidance is the best way to deal with a chimney fire. In compliance with this, here is a recommended cleaning guide to follow.

  • Wood Burning Stoves – Clean four times a year;
  • Solid Fuel Fires – Once a year if using smokeless fuel. Twice a year if using coal;
  • Oil & Gas Fires – Only once a year during boiler service;
  • Stoves – Look to the recommendations provided by the supplier.

Make sure to close all doors to the house prior to going to bed. This is very important because if a fire breaks out, then this will slow down the spread. A living room fire is a disastrous occurrence which can be avoided granted you follow the recommendations provided. Don’t wait for a living room fire to break out before thinking of you and your family’s safety.

It always pays to be well prepared for whatever the future brings. You can learn other fire safety tips here. This is also why you should have a restoration company you know and trust. Mission Restorations has experts in fire, water, and mold restoration. If ever in need of services, don’t hesitate to call the best damage restoration team in Charlotte and its surrounding areas at 704-727-2000.

Living Room Fire Prevention
Average: 4.8 (4 votes)

Leave a Reply